Sunday, August 1, 2010

Music Sweet Music

Music comes from the soul and uplifts the spirit. During our voyage across America Team Werk was so inspired by the landscape that we would often break out in song. The melodies were new and old, sad and strong, everything in between. We would often experience a delay effect in which songs we would here on the radio or in passing would be the singing material a few days later. But mostly the songs would come from our memories. The mind works in mysterious ways. These are some of the melodies that we bounced along with most frequently. Often the lyrics drastically altered to express an emotion or feeling of the time. I think I got most of our big hitters in here, but if anything was omitted, I will gladly add it.


The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 1

I just came of a Flaming Lips binge before the trip began and this song endured from day 1 to the end.

James Brown - Living In America

Watch the scene in Rocky IV where this song is showcased. That should explain a lot.

Anything from Offspring-Americana

Many songs from this album would make their way onto the shoulders of America's highways. This was the first album that both Will and I bought in ~sixth grade.

David Bowie - Young Americans

I heard this song on the radio driving back from my last night out in Portland (80's night at the Crystal Ballroom). It has been looping in some part of my brain ever since. David Bowie has to be one of the most American artists not born in America.

Anything from the Beatles

Team Werk would loves the classics and we would often break into a bit of Beatles mania. This song was one of our loved ones and if I had to choose a favorite, this would probably be it.

Divinyls- I Touch Myself

This infectious chorus can be easily altered, and often was.

Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting

It's easy to see how this song would get stuck in your head.

Blink 182- Adam's Song


Blink 182 was the alternative pop punk band of our generation and however much of it it might seem silly now, this stuff got to me in middle school. Some say it's a sad song but if there was one song this was THE song of Team Werk. It might not make a lot of sense, but most things in life don't.

Honorable mentions: The Eagles, Bob Seger, Aerosmith, Lady Gaga, "I'm proud to be an American" song, etc


And for me...
Wilco- Sky Blue Sky

Wilco has become one of my favorite artists over the last couple of years and I definitely jammed on them hard during the trip. Whenever Will's Ipod was charged and available I would hit up their album Sky Blue Sky. This is the title track from the album that stayed with my since the first time I heard it charging out of Palouse Falls. Wilco's songs set a wonderful scene for our American adventure and as the miles kept rolling their songs kept playing in my head.


Oh, I didn’t die
I should be satisfied
I survived
That's good enough for now

No comments:

Post a Comment